Application Guide

TEG London is here to support applicants throughout the application process. We provide personalised, one-to-one guidance from the moment applicants are interested until when they start studying at the university. Here’s some information we thought would be useful: 

The documents required to apply for a higher education programme in the UK are usually quite standard. It’s advisable to have all documents available electronically, with a file size no larger than 2MB, and in translated into English (if not already) by an attested translator. 

  • Academic qualification certificates 
  • Academic transcripts 
  • English language proficiency test certificate 
  • A signed academic and/or professional reference letter on headed paper 
  • Copy of Passport 
  • Personal Statement  
  • CV in English (if applicable) 
  • Visa/CAS statement (if held) 
  • Proof of funding (if required) 


Personal Statement 

You will also need to submit a personal statement, or statement of purpose, as part of your undergraduate or postgraduate application. This is a document that you will write in order to demonstrate your ability and motivation to study the course you are applying for –  Your personal statement should include: 

  • Why this university? Why a specific campus? Which other institutions did you consider? 
  • Why did you choose to apply for this course? Did you consider any other courses? 
  • How does the course content align with your career plans? 
  • Is this course offered in your home country? If so, why have you decided to study abroad? Why have you chosen the UK, and what are the benefits of studying here rather than your home country? 
  • If you have had a long break in studies, why are you returning now? 
  • What are your plans after you have finished your studies? 

Universities want to see that their students have a good grasp of the English language – this particularly important for those studying at a postgraduate level, where the taught content will be highly technical. Therefore, an English test is compulsory when applying. There are a variety of Secure English Language Tests (SELT) available, but the most commonly accepted ones are:

Secure English Language Test (SELT)Score
IELTS*Overall score of 6.0, with no skill below 5.5
TOEFLOverall score of 78, with no component score below 17

For programmes that require IELTS comparable 6.0, with no element below 5.5: overall score of 59 to 64, with no element less than 59.

For programmes that require IELTS comparable 6.5, with no element below 6.0: overall score of 65 to 75, with no element less than 65.

LanguageCert International ESOL

UG entry: B2 Communicator pass.

PG entry: B2 Communicator pass/High Pass

*Academic IELTS from an UKVI-approved test centre. IELTS test certificate must be dated within 2 years of applying. IELTS for UKVI to apply for pre-sessional English programme required

University course fees vary based on factors such as the university, course, degree level and duration.  

University of the West of Scotland (UWS) 

In the case of the University of the West of Scotland (UWS), the course fees range from £14,500 to £17,250, depending of the type of course and delivery method. There are different bursaries available to International students however, UWS does not offer full fee scholarships at this time. 

UWS requires 50% of the course fees to be paid in advance when you receive your offer letter. The balance can be paid in two instalments: 25% on enrolment and 25% of your remaining balance, generally 3 months after you have started your course. 

Whether you are paying online or by bank transfer, please ensure that you quote your Banner ID and full name when making a payment. 

Non-refundable deposits 

If you receive a CAS from UWS and thereafter decide not to take up their place, a non-refundable fee of £500 will be retained by the university. The same amount will also be retained if your visa is refused. The university will review each visa refusal on a case-by-case basis, examining all of the facts before making an informed decision. 

There are over half a million international students studying in the UK every year (Hesa19/20), so there are plenty of different accommodation types to fit every student’s lifestyle. Some accommodation options to consider are: 

  • Homestay – A homestay provides an opportunity to stay with a local family for a fee. It’s an affordable accommodation alternative, ideal for gap year students, students living abroad and anyone seeking a real and genuine travel experience. It allows them to experience the local community and culture of the place they’re studying. 
  • Flat or house share -A flatshare is where two or more people live in a property together. Each person usually has their own bedroom, with or without access to private bathroom. The other parts of the house/flat will be shared between the tenants, like kitchen and living room. 
  • Studio apartment – This is an apartment with living areas, such as the kitchen, living room and bedroom, contained within a large room. They are typically a one-bedroom and one-bathroom living situation.  
  • University halls of residence – These are halls of residence in large blocks of flats housing hundreds of students, with individual furnished bedrooms organised around corridors or apartments with a shared kitchen. In some cases, bathrooms are also shared, although en-suite rooms are also available. 


Key terms 

  • PCM: Per calendar month 
  • PW: Per week 
  • Bills inc.: All Bills included (no extra amount to be paid apart from the rent amount) 


UWS London 

While there isn’t UWS-managed student accommodation in London, there are many private rental options for students seeking accommodation. Private accommodation is let out and managed by private landlords or state agents. This can be confusing, especially amongst international students trying to book from abroad. You can find a list of accredited accommodation providers and websites here.  


Both Paisley and Ayr campuses offer UWS’ own accommodation options to local and international students. Their team of Resident Assistants are on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week providing residents with a safe environment to live, learn and relax. The Resident Assistants are responsible for organising the social events calendar with activities planned throughout the year to help residents integrate, socialise and make new friends. 

For Lanarkshire campus, accommodation are available throughout Hamilton and the local area, through private landlords and private student residences. SOAB Student Residences have developed new accommodation on the site of the former Caird Building. More information can be found on SOAB’s website. 

Resident Advisors at UWS  

Our Resident Advisors (RAs) provide support and advice to all students living in UWS accommodation, building a sense of community among the residences through inclusivity and involvement and help create a great place to live, study and socialise, organising events to enable residents to mix and make new friends. All of our RAs live in the residences, and there is always an RA on site, covering office duties and out-of-hours service. 

What to Expect 

UWS Residences provide you with everything you need to get quickly settled into your new home.  Shared kitchens are equipped with: 

  • Oven and hob / fridge and freezer / microwave / kettle 
  • Iron and Ironing board / vacuum cleaner 
  • Mop and bucket / dustpan, brush and sweeping brush 


Each private en-suite bedroom includes: 

  • Bedframe and mattress 
  • Large workspace with sockets 
  • Wardrobe and storage space 
  • En-suite bathroom 


Each standard bedroom includes: 

  • Bedframe and mattress 
  • Large workspace with sockets 
  • Wardrobe and storage space 
  • Shared bathroom 


Contract Terms 

UWS offers three lengths of contract, however the contracts available will depend on the type of study: 

  • Traditional academic year – 38 weeks providing accommodation during term 1 and term 2, available for students on any course. 
  • Individual term contract – please note these are only available to Erasmus+ and Study Abroad students. 
  • Re-booker contract which covers term 3 and can be used as a way of extension on to the end of the 38 week contract. 

You can pre-order your essential suppliers through UWS partner company Unikitout –  

CAS stands for ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies‘. A CAS is an electronic record that the University produces for the Home Office and it is required for your student visa application. To obtain this, applicants are required to attend a Credibility Interview and provide: 

  • Proof of course fees deposit payment  
  • Bank Statement (Minimum of 28 days) 
  • Tuberculosis certificate (If applicable) 
  • Birth Certificate* 
  • Financial support letter* 
  • Sponsorship letter (if applicable) 


*If your parents are helping to pay for course fees or living expenses, you will need to provide a letter of financial support from them, apart from a copy of your birth certificate to prove your relationship.  

** All documents not in English must be translated by a certified attested translator. 

The Tier 4 Student Visa caters for students from outside the UK or EEA who are looking to study a full-time degree level course at a university, college or other eligible educational institution in the UK. 

You can apply for a Student Visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you: 

For full guidance on how to apply for student visa, please access the UK GOV website: 

Applying from outside the UK 

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. Always check your personal details on your visa, in case of any errors, get corrected straightway. Check your passport validity, if does not cover the full duration of your course, request a new passport before applying for visa.  

Most common documents required to apply for student visa: 

  • CAS certificate 
  • Passport 
  • Proof of Finances – proof you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course 
  • Your tuberculosis test results 
  • The documents listed on your CAS certificate which the university used to assess your application.  
  • Written consent for your application from your financial sponsor if you’ve received sponsorship for your course fees and living costs in the last 12 months 

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.Read the guidance for the full list of documents you’ll need to provide. 

How much money do I need? 

You will be required to show that you have enough money to cover for your course fees plus living expenses up to 9 months as follows: 

  • To study in London:
    • Students: £12,006 (£1,334/month) 
    • Dependents: £7,605 (£845/month) 
  • To study outside London:
    • Students: £9,207 (£1,023/month) 
    • Dependents: £7,605 (£845/month) 

We strongly advice all international students to have in hand while entering the UK all documents provided to apply for UWS and for the student visa.  

We strongly advise all international students to have the required documents ready, printed and stored safely in your hand luggage, before entering the UK. 

The UK Border Force has produced a ’10 Top Tips’ information leaflet providing guidance on getting through the UK border controls as efficiently as possible. You should also check all guidance on Entering the UK (Link to 

Documents to have in your hand luggage 

  • Unconditional offer letter from UWS 
  • CAS documents:
    • Proof of finances 
    • Proof of deposit payment 
    • Letter of sponsorship 
    • Proof of relation of sponsor 
    • TB certificate 
  • CAS certificate 
  • Certificate of enrolment 
  • BRP collection letter 
  • Passport 
  • Alternative forms of identification (e.g. driver’s license, birth certificate etc.) 
  • Flight/travel details 
  • Accommodation confirmations (incl. duration of stay, contact details, details of any alternative accommodations etc.) 
  • Any correspondence from university regarding late arrival 
  • COVID documents:
    • Vaccination certification 
    • Passenger locator form 
    • Negative test result (if needed) 


Don’t Forget! 

Ensure you travel to the UK within the validity of your student visa to activate your immigration permission as a student. Keep your passport and important documents safe – make copies of the required documents before travelling and keep secure in a different place to the originals. 

This information is provided in good faith. TEG cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Immigration regulations are regularly changing and being updated. So, we strongly advise students to always check the official guidance when applying for a Student visa: