Every year, London welcomes new students who are looking for an exciting new city to study in. The city is famous for its fascinating culture, unique architecture, and endless lists of things to do.
In this article, we will be showing you the many benefits that this captivating city has to offer!
1. It’s Full of Culture
The best part about living in this city is that it homes some of the world’s best museums and galleries, and many of them are completely free of charge! This allows students to enjoy the culture, even if they’re low on funds. Here are a few of the best free museums and galleries:
- The Tate Modern – the legendary contemporary art gallery and museum.
- The Victoria and Albert – here you can find some of the best art and sculptures in the UK.
- The British Museum – there are floors filled with historical artefacts from all over the world.
- Natural History Museum – discover dinosaur fossils and animals throughout time.
2. The Job Market is Thriving
In a busy city, there are many opportunities for part-time work alongside your studies. There are lots of thriving businesses in London; the city and its economy are constantly evolving. This makes it one of the best cities in terms of student jobhunting.
Furthermore, to match the cost of living, the minimum wage in London is higher than the rest of the UK. Currently, you are guaranteed at least £11.05 per hour.
3. Great Public Transport
When it comes to public transport, London is in a league of its own. It has a fast, reliable bus service, as well as the Underground, Overground, and DLR services. There are also night buses and 24-hour tube services at weekends so that you can always get home, however late it is.
Many students like to opt for the bus because it’s so cheap to use. The bus fare is £1.65, no matter how far you travel. The daily bus fare is capped at £4.95, so you will never spend more than this in one day. To make everything as fast as possible, the buses and tubes are contactless services. To travel, you can simply top up an Oyster card or use your debit card.
Lastly, London’s most exciting mode of transport is the Emirates Air Line. This cable car takes you high above the city and over The Thames for 10 minutes, landing at The Royal Docks.
4. Easy Access to Other Countries
London has three huge international airports: Gatwick, Heathrow, and London City. This makes it convenient for friends/family to visit you, and for you to travel to them.
As well as this, you can get to London St Pancras Station, where you can catch the Eurostar train. This will take you directly from London to Paris, in under three hours!
5. A Multicultural City
Something that makes London so exciting is its diversity. It welcomes residents from across the globe, and there are now over 300 different languages spoken in the city today. This rich mixture makes for incredible food, celebrations, and a loving acceptance of different races and religions.
Londoners are progressive people, and they have an unforgiving attitude towards racism. In fact, there are many initiatives in London to counteract racism, as well as regular peaceful protests.
6. Theatres and Comedy Nights
If you love anything on a stage, then you will be in good hands. Here are some of the capital’s world-famous theatres:
- Shakespeare’s Globe – a reconstruction of the playhouse where Shakespeare’s plays were performed in his day. The theatre regularly produces contemporary versions of his plays.
- London Coliseum – this breathtaking Theatre hosts ballet, opera, and musical theatre.
- The Old Vic – based in Waterloo, this legendary theatre has been graced by famous actors such as Judie Dench and Laurence Olivier.
- Comedy Nights – If you love stand-up comedy, there are so many venues to choose from, such as, Up the Creek – located in Greenwich, they have discounted student nights too. Comedy Carnival – enjoy stand up in the beautiful Covent Garden area. The Top Secret Comedy Club – this is one of the most popular
Whether you enjoy huge shopping malls, vintage markets, or high streets, London has the shops for you. London is a fantastic place to set up a business, and as a result, there is an endless number of shops to suit all budgets.
You’ll be happy to know that lots of shops and eateries in London also offer student discounts!
9. The Unbeatable Food
Thanks to the city’s diversity, you can find food from all over the world, right on your doorstep. You can try bottomless brunch, exotic coffee, delicious street food, and much more.
No matter which country you’re travelling to London from, you should be able to find your traditional food in the city, which is a relief to many newcomers.
10. There’s Always an Event To Attend
A big plus side of the city is that there’s always something to look forward to. There are fun events such as film festivals, food fairs, and celebrations. These events are great ways to make friends and will help you get to know your area and get confident using London transport.
Some popular annual events in London are:
- The New Year’s Day Parade
- London Book Fair
- London Fashion Week
- Hampton Court Palace Flower Show
11. Stunning Architecture
In London, every street is worthy of an Instagram picture. You will see historic structures such as Big Ben or Buckingham Palace, or modern marvels such as The Shard or The Gherkin. Whenever you leave your home, you will be surrounded by the remarkable buildings that make London such an inspiring city to live in. Seeking out the best architecture is a great way to explore the area and relax.
12. Pretty Neighbourhoods
London has a variety of pleasant neighbourhoods that you can enjoy walking through. Here are some of our favourites:
- Camden – it’s full of enchanting street art and has a lovely market.
- Greenwich – right on the River Thames, Greenwich is both modern and historic.
- Notting Hill – one of London’s most famous landmarks, this area is colourful and full of tasteful shops and meet up spots.
- Chelsea – the subject of the TV show Made in Chelsea, this lavish area is occupied by some of the wealthiest residents of London.
13. Parks and walks
Anytime you need to clear your mind, you can freely walk around one of the city’s vast parks. Some popular choices include Greenwich Park, Kensington Gardens, and St. James’s Park.
Having so many parks close by is great because you get the convenience of a big city, as well as the tranquillity of the parks.
There is a huge walking community in London, so there are specially designed walks to help you become quickly acquainted with the city. Here are two popular choices:
- Design of the Times Walk – this is a 90-minute walk that showcases the best architecture in the heart of the city.
- Epping Forest Centenary Walk – this is a 15-mile route through calming forests and parks.
Some famous music venues include:
- The O2 in Greenwich – artists like Ariana Grande and Stormzy have performed here.
- The Royal Albert Hall – where you can enjoy the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- Alexandra Palace – what better venue than a historic palace?
- Chance to See Celebrities
Because of how stunning it is, London is a great spot for filmmakers. Whether it’s a new TV show or film, there is often a lot of filming happening here. For example, Emma Stone was filmed in Greenwich for her film Cruella. Robert Pattinson also filmed part of The Batman in London.
News travels fast in London, so if a celebrity is visiting the city, you’ll read about it online. If it’s a public location, you can visit the area for a chance to see the actor!
14. The NHS
The final, most enticing reason to move to London, is the access to some of the best healthcare in the world. By agreeing to pay a yearly fee, international students can take full advantage of the NHS. This includes access to doctor’s appointments, surgeries, prescriptions, and therapy. The service the NHS provide is unparalleled, and access to it will ensure you stay as healthy as possible during your studies.
Whatever you’re looking for in a new city, London will make you happy. This beautiful place is full of opportunities, new experiences, and the chance to reinvent yourself over again. Moving to a new place can feel daunting, but once you arrive you can lose yourself in the history and vibrancy of this famous city.