Minimum English language standards
International students applying to study in the UK and other English speaking countries are required to meet minimum standards of English language proficiency. It’s crucial that you are able to speak, read and understand the English language to get the most out of your time at University.
There are a few exceptions for international applicants:
- Native speakers of English
- Erasmus students (unless advised otherwise)
- non-Erasmus students from EU partner institutions (your institution must provide confirmation of your English language ability in the absence of a formal qualification)
English language requirements for academic entry
If these exceptions do not apply to you, you will need to provide proof of your English language ability through the International English Language Test System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). (You can also test your English online for free with our tool).. (You can also test your English online for free with our tool)..
- Undergraduate (BA, BAcc, BEng, BSc) – IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- Postgraduate Taught (MA, MSc) – IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 5.5
- Postgraduate Research (MRes, MPhil, PhD, DBA, DProf)– IELTS 6.5 with no skill below 6.0
These are minimum requirements and some courses may require a higher standard for admission.
IELTS certificates should be dated within two years at the time of applying to study.
TOEFL IBT*: 78; no sub-test less than:
- Reading: 17;
- Listening: 17;
- Speaking: 17;
- Writing: 17
Common English language equivalents for most courses
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
- PTE Pearson Academic English: An overall score of 54 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.0 with no element below 5.5). An overall score 61 with no element below 51 (for programmes that require IELTS 6.5 with no element below 6.0)
West African Senior School Certificate of Education (WASSCE)
West African Senior School Certificate of Education (WASSCE) including acceptance of WAEC Scratchcard*
- C6 or above in English
English language requirements for a UK VISA
If you live outside the EU/EEA, you will need to obtain a visa in order to live and study in the UK. If English is not your first language you will need to meet the minimum standards of English set out by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) as part of the visa application process.
Full details of the English language test requirements set by UKVI are available on the UK Government website.
Pre-sessional English language courses
We understand that you might need to improve your English language skills to meet visa or application requirements. Therefore, some universities will have a Pre-sessional English Language course available to help you meet the IELTS standard for studying.