Studying the MEd Education Studies programme is a great way to advance your career prospects in the Education sector. This specialist course allows students with a background in Education Studies to home in on their chosen research areas, whilst also taking a broad, international perspective on educational developments.
About the course
The MEd Education Studies is a specialist programme aimed at building upon the skills of students with prior experience within the education sector. The course takes a global perspective – taking inspiration from the latest educational theory and practice.
Over the course of 1 year (full-time), students of the MEd Education Studies course will get the chance to engage with, and get involved in, their own primary research.
Those with a background in teaching can enhance their career through specialising in one of the following three MEd Education Studies subject areas:
- CORE: an in-depth study of the core principles involved in education. It is ideal for those who wish to pursue careers in primary, secondary or tertiary education.
- INCLUSION: This route allows education professionals the chance to focus their career efforts on improving inclusivity within the general education system.
- LEADERSHIP: Specifically geared towards those with an interest in pursuing leadership roles within educational settings, such as within a team or leading other teachers.
UWS London MEd Education Studies offers two pathway options: Inclusion or Leadership.
To achieve the MEd in Education Studies you must complete six taught modules and a dissertation. There are three stages to the programme:
- Postgraduate Certificate (three modules)
- Postgraduate Diploma (three modules)
- Master’s dissertation (one module)
The PgCert comprises the core module, Critical Issues across Education (20 credits), and two optional modules from the list below:
- Inclusive Practice (20 credits)
- Participation and Children’s Rights (20 credits)
- Leadership – Vision and Values (20 credits)
- Leadership – Working with Teams (20 credits)
Successful completion of the PgCert allows you to proceed to the Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) where you’ll study the core module, Educational Research (20 credits) and two optional modules from the list above.
Successful completion of the PgDip allows you to proceed to the master’s module:
- Masters Dissertation (60 credits)
You will be taught by a combination of direct, face-to-face teaching and online input through our Virtual Learning Environment, Moodle. Face-to-face teaching may be classroom-based or online, in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
Formative and summative assessments will be used including:
- individual and group presentations
- online discussions
Find out more about the structure, learning outcomes, compulsory and optional modules in this course.
Why study MEd Education Studies?
There are several reasons why this programme is advantageous to educational professionals.
The first, and perhaps most attractive, benefit of studying a postgraduate degree in Education Studies is that it will significantly boost your career prospects. This programme streamlines the employment process by allowing students to specialise in their chosen area. Successful graduates of this programme have progressed to careers in primary/secondary education, education consultancy and even governmental positions.
Secondly, there is currently a high demand for teachers and education professionals on a global level. Graduating with a Masters degree in Education Studies will give you a competitive edge and perhaps allow you to secure more senior roles.
Finally, the course structure has been developed to ensure graduates leave the course with a clear understanding of inclusive practice and leadership within the education sector.
As this is a postgraduate programme, applicants should have gained either a qualification in Early Years Teaching or a relevant bachelor’s degree in an education-related subject.
Otherwise, prospective students should be able to show they have gained substantial and relevant employment experience within the education sector.
While this course does of course welcome international students, applicants must be able to demonstrate a sufficient standard of English Language skills.
The most common English Language qualification is the IELTS qualification (should have been gained in the last 2 years). For entry to this course, applicants should have achieved a score of 6.0 and sub-test results should not be below 5.5.
Other accepted English Language tests include:
- Cambridge certificate of advanced English (CAE) and certificate of proficiency in English (CPE). Score: 176.
- Trinity College Integrated Skills in English. Score: ISEII.
- Pearson Academic English. Score: 61.
- TOEFL IBT. Score: 78.
You may also be permitted to take a supplementary English language programme prior to commencement of the programme.
This programme has a cost of £11,750 for UK students and £15,250 for international students.
Duration: 1 Year Full Time
Duration: 1 Year Full Time
Benefits of Having a Master’s Degree in Education
A master’s degree in education is a great way to take your career to the next level and further your …